Many of use want to extend our homes, but doing so in the UK is not always straightforward. Not only is there the cost of the building, but one has to satisfy planning permission rules.
However, it is possible to add beautiful, low cost, new buildings and rooms to our properties using log cabins, and these can be added without planning permission when buying the right building.
Log Cabin Kits
Log Cabin Kits are available that included everything you need to construct a lovely modern building that has a vast array of uses. The kit includes all of the parts required, including double glazed windows and doors. The kits are high-quality, easy to assemble and many of the kits have been designed to fall within the 2.5 metre height planning permission exception.
Since the 1st October 2008 new planning permission rules have allowed us to build garden buildings, including log cabins, that are 2.5 metres in height (or less) on our property without planning permission. The 2.5 metre height is permitted as it is consider to not impact your neighbours.
It is also possible to build cabins higher than 2.5 metres if you build them more than 2 metres from your boundary.
This is great news, as we can now build great garden buildings when we like, without having to wait a long time for planning permission.
What are the uses of a log cabin?
Log cabins can be used to so many difference things:
- Garden building – a great place to relax in the garden, read a book, sit in the shade, and more.
- Shed – you can have a high quality, double glazed shed for hobbies, storage and much more. Log cabins are far superior to the sheds that you will find at garden centres.
- Kids play room – cabins make great rooms for the kids to play in. With insulation, which is easy to add, they can be used all year round.
- Office – if you work from home and need a great space to be productive in, a log cabin is the perfect place. With a wide variety of layouts and options including insulation, porches, and more.
- Studio – if you are an artist you can have an inspiration studio, made from wood, which smells and looks great. A perfect place to retreat and be alone.
- Garage – If you need to store vehicles, motorbikes, cycles, boats, or just abut anything else, then you can build one quickly and cheaply with a kit.
- Home – even residential log cabins are available. By far the quickest way to build a new home for your family. You will need planning permission for a home though, and a big piece of land!
The kits come with everything you need to construct the building. A typically log cabin can be constructed in a few days by two people with only screwdrivers, a hammer, and a knife to cut some trim. All timbers are high quality and pre-cut using millimetre perfect mills.
This article was written by Brian Runnalls. He runs Factory Cabins, a log cabin kit designer, supplying log cabins that don’t need planning permission across the UK. They can help you find the perfect cabin for you and your family, that you won’t need planning pemission for. They offer free delivery to most of the UK.